If your natural gas service is disrupted during colder temperatures, do not attempt to restore your supply of natural gas. Be assured that we are working quickly to restore service to you. Follow some of these important safety tips to protect your family and your home:
- Put on extra layers of clothing to conserve body heat.
- Prevent water pipes from freezing:
- If a short duration of no heat is expected, keep a tap open and let water run slowly.
- If a longer duration is expected, shut off your water main and drain all taps and flush all toilets. Be sure to keep a reserve of drinking water, if available.
- Cover your water main valve and inlet pipes with blankets.
- Turn off your water heater and drain.
- If you need to evacuate, add some antifreeze to all sinks, tubs and toilets.
- If you have natural gas appliances ensure they are all turned off for when service is restored.
- Start an alternative heating source:
- Don't try to heat the whole house. Pick a room in your home and focus on making it comfortable.
- Wood-burning fireplaces and stoves will keep you warm safely as long as they are adequately ventilated and there's no risk of carbon monoxide buildup.
- Light some candles and be sure they are kept away from any combustible or flammable material.
- Do not use equipment designed for outdoors such as barbecues and gasoline powered generators. Only use equipment recommended for indoor use by the manufacturer such as indoor heaters.
- During the day, open blinds and drapes to let in the natural sunlight. At night, keep blinds and drapes closed to retain the heat.
Once service has been restored, turn on your water heater and fill. If water lines have frozen, you might have cracked pipes or fittings. If they burst or leak when they thaw, there could be extensive water damage. Call your plumber if you think there has been damage to your pipes.
If you need assistance in relighting your natural gas appliances, please call SaskEnergy at 1-888-7000-GAS (427).